JUDICIAL CENTRE COMPLEX (New Court House)
Judicial Centre, designed by local Architects Gillespie & Steel Associates
Ltd., has a floor area of15,500 sq.m. (approx. 170,000 sq ft). There are
separate entrances to the Supreme Court and Registry sections of the building,
each clearly defined with porticos to the west and south. These are linked with
gardens in front of the main façade to give an attractive public open space
with paved plaza, fountain and sunken garden.
the main Supreme Court entrance opens into a triple height public atrium with
glass balustrading and natural light from above. From this atrium, at different
levels, access is gained to all of the Courts, including four Criminal Courts
and Court of Appeal, each with teak wall panelling, raked public seating and
levels of the atrium give access to four Civil Courts, three Chambers Courts
and the Registrar’s Court. There is also a public Cafeteria, Washrooms;
Attorney’s Consulting Rooms and the Community Legal Services Department.
scenes, there are 15 individual Judge’s Chambers, including the Chief Justice’s
Suite, and these give direct access to the Judges Bench in each Court.
Registry section incorporates Records Registry, Court of Appeal Registry and
High Court Registry with associated administrative offices, Vaults and a
substantial Law Library.
Complex opened on 5th October 2009 with the start of the Legal Year 2009 -
Handcuffs and Seal of the Court..
devices used to restrain prisoners, by securing the wrists close together. They
comprise of two parts linked together by a chain, a hinge or in the case of
rigid cuffs, a bar. Handcuffs are used on suspected or dangerous criminals to
prevent them from escaping custody.
A seal is
the designed impression used by a person, business or institution used to
identify or brand itself. Used to make an impression on paper on an envelope
its appearance lends proof of authority and authenticity to the document and correspondence.
The Judges Robe, Wig and Gavel.
wig, traditionally made from animal or human hair, is called a full-bottomed
wig and was worn only by High Court judges at the opening of the Assizes. This
traditional dress was replaced in Barbados in the twenty-first (21st) century.
is a small ceremonial mallet commonly made of hardwood and typically fashioned
with a handle. It is a symbol of authority, and it is used to signal the
beginning (call to order) and ending (adjournment) of a session of the court,
as well as, to restore order when proceedings became rowdy. It is also used to
call for attention or to punctuate rulings and is often struck against a sound
block to enhance its sounding qualities.
The Barbados Supreme Court (Old).
Supreme Court building situated at Coleridge Street, Bridgetown is home to the
High Courts and Court of Appeal. This building has been there since 1730. It
was built at a cost of six thousand pounds (£6,000.00) and was initially known as
the Town Hall Jail because it housed prisoners detained as a result of both
civil and criminal proceedings.
building was also home to the local legislature and judiciary. The Coleridge
Street Complex became known as the Law Courts when the 1956 Supreme Court of
Judicature Act was passed close to the time that the Registration Office
Building to the immediate south was built and physically joined to the Law
Courts. From that time, all legal and judicial business was carried out at
as the Town Hall until 1874 and also as the public goal until 1837. For over
278 years, the building at Coleridge Street was the centre of administration of
justice in Barbados.
the re-organisation of the Judicature in 1958, this Georgian building with its
nineteenth century verandah was officially renamed the Law Courts, a function
it served until 2009.
Title 300th Anniversary
of the Restructured Criminal Court
Release Date 10th
Design & Layout Nick
Printer The Lowe-Martin
Stamp size 28.80m x
Sheet format 50 (2 x 25)
Souvenir Sheet 73 x 100
Paper CASCO Crown
Perforation 13 per 2 cms
Value & Designs
10c New Court House
50c Handcuffs and Seal
$1.40 Judges, Robe,Wig
$2.50 Old Court House
Set of 4 stamps: $4.50
This product was added to our catalog on Monday 28 March, 2011.