The interior view of the Nidhe
Israel Synagogue highlights the Arc which was rebuilt in 1987 out of Barbados
Mahogany and replicates the Arc of 1833. The Ten Commandments above the Arc
were restored on the wooden tablets which were preserved from the 1833 original
The interior of the Synagogue was
reconstructed using photographs taken in 1925 before the objects in the
Synagogue were sold. These photographs were maintained in the Shilstone Library
of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society and were
used as a guide during the restoration. The Barbados Museum
and Historical Society gave back a number of artefacts obtained when the
Synagogue was sold as a result of the dwindling of the Barbados Jewish
Community in the early 1990’s. The current community is represented by
immigrants to Barbados
who arrived from as early as 1931.
shows the front entrance elevation of the Nidhe Israel Museum which is adjacent
to the Nidhe Israel Synagogue, Bridgetown, Barbados. The property was built in
the early 1700’s and was used as a Jewish school by the children of the
approximately 800 Jewish residents of Barbados who lived and worked near the
settlers arrived in Barbados at approximately the same time as the British
settlers; they brought sugar and other commence from Recife, Brazil to
artefact was acquired by the Barbados Museum and Historical Society in 1925 and
given back when the Synagogue was sold. The Hannukiah dates back to 1696 (5456
in the Jewish Calendar) and bears the name of Valverde, Kodes and Abraham,
members of the Barbados Jewish Community who donated it at the time.
Hannukah, a candelabra
lit on eight successive nights, commemorates the miracle of the oil that burned
for eight days even though there was only enough oil to burn for one day. It
relates to Chanukah, or the Festival of Lights, celebrated in December each
year, commemorating the victory of the Maccabees and the re-dedication of the
Jerusalem Temple in 165 BC. Today, candles are burned instead of oil during
the Chanukah celebration.
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 05 August, 2011.